Thursday, September 19, 2024

Voyages of the self

We have to travel alone and outward to go within in and find our peace spot. This is my first solo trip in eight years and if you think it must have been tough to go solo, you’re mistaken. I was always alone in all my relationships, so there was no switch. 

When you travel to a place without a check list or not popularised by Insta reels, you have the opportunity to look at it with a fresh pair of eyes. Moreover, you’re not pressured to recreate a picture perfect vacation selfie or Instagram Reel.

Furthermore, when you’re not time bound and not hounded by office calls and emails or the thought of going back to work, it feels more special and peaceful.

While I booked my onward journey, I wasn’t sure where I wanted to go, which made it all the more special and exciting. I went back to the same place for the 5th time and this is where my mind, body and soul rejoices.


Having retired from an active corporate career, I was not time bound and I traveled by local buses to enjoy sights of beautiful villages nestled in the woods along the river and strike a conversation with the locals and understand their life and aspirations. 

Interestingly, on the train and bus trips, I met two teenage boys (age of my nephew) who weren’t distracted by their mobiles wanted to have a conversation with me on my career and life journey. This felt surreal! How I wish we had technology to swap lives. 

Just because I was on my vacation, I didn’t change my daily routine: exercising, meditating and eating healthy food.

While the sunrise is a bit later in the west coast, I rose at 5.30 am listening to the pitter patter of the rains, thanks to the monsoon season. With bare feet and an umbrella over my head, I headed to the beach for my morning walk.

The gregarious or drunken sea, however you want to look at it, had incurred the shore, nevertheless, I managed to a negotiated a small stretch for my walk while the waves continuously washed my feet reminding me that they own of this place. I came as a visitor and not with an intention to conquer or usurp.

I crossed several boats that returned with a fresh catch from the seas and watched busy humans removed the entangled fishes from the nets and sort them by sizes. Dogs and birds waited by their side like goons to get their share from the catch. 

I walked a kilometre towards the southern end of the beach and settled on a lichen covered rock. There was no urge to read the newspaper or check X for any updates, instead I caught a glimpse of the horizon, filled my lungs with fresh air and I closed my eyes for a dozen rounds Pranayama followed by meditation. 

Thirty minutes later, I fished for iPods in my bag and selected Illayaraja songs that matched the beats of the waves and moods of the sea. What a healthy dose of endorphins instead of adrenaline rushed mornings.

At around 9.30 am my stomach growled and I headed home after a quick stop by the market looking for a ripe papaya and bananas for breakfast. On the way, I noticed these leaves dancing and waving in joy. Not sure if anyone notice their spirited smile, but I stopped by them, gave a peck on their cheeks and carried home their positive energy.

After the breakfast, like an old man, I took a nap on the lazy chair rejoicing my freedom. When we slow down, we get to appreciate life and be grateful.

Around noon, I forced myself to shower, hand washed my clothes and put them out in the balmy sun before heading to a nearby restaurant for a healthy vegan meal. As I was in no hurry, I let the chef cook at his own pace. In exchange, I got my share of local news and updates from the staff. 

Finally, I returned home at 3 pm, filled my water bottle and walked back to check on my gregarious friend. Now, she had retracted her emotions and may be it was her turn to mediate or sober? 

Again, I perched on the lichen covered stone, admiring the tall coconut trees, starring at the calm sea and playing another set of melodies to match the mood and beats of the waves. In between, if I got bored, I befriended the local dogs and shared some of my nuts in exchange for tricks. If they were tired resting after playing lifeguards at night, I invited the local boys to join me for game for frisbee by the sea. If they turned down my invite, I got philosophical watching the vegetation, sober waves and activity on the shore and watching the farm to plate of priced catches form the sea.

Here is a sample : “Be hard as a rock but allow lichens grow on you. Don’t mistake kindness for symbiotic intelligence.”


I’m not an artist, but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy and appreciate artists and their creations. Nature is a Super artist and I patiently waited for twilight to set in and catch the magic in the sky that appeared with the rise of Moon and Venus. This happens like clockwork every evening, does someone turns on the dial every evening?

Feeling charged and grateful at the end of this sound and light show, I walked back home through the market reading the emotions on shopkeepers face to understand if their registers kept ringing or hibernating. As I retreat back into my den, I replay the images of the seashore in a loop before slipping another world. 

“There is only one day left, always starting over: it is given to us at dawn and taken away from us at dusk.” - Jean-Paul Sartre

I traveled hundreds of Kilometres in these 50 years to finally reach this spot within filled peace, calmness and gratitude. I realised, there are journeys within a journey and these reflections help me identify and navigate them slowly.

They say life begins at the end of your comfort zone…and sometimes I want my life to end at this comfort zone.

Remember, our lives are a solo trip, people join us for some portions of the journey but no one travels the entire journey with us. 

What does your journey look like? Do you have a comfort zone and a peace spot that you keep going back to?

No comments:

Post a Comment