Tuesday, August 16, 2005

A walk on GN Chetty Road


India celebrated its 58 year of Independence yesterday. There was no violence reported in the city or elsewhere in the country. We earned this independence without bloodshed and satyagraha (non-violence) and today we are fighting with Pakistan changing Kashmir to a graveyard. Someday we will realize the value of freedom, peace and co-existence. I could see no flags on the street or outside the shops to show their patriotism. Where are you guys, busy working for call centers on national holidays?

Rains lashed the city over the weekend and washed down dust and rust from the trees and other standing structure. The deep blue sky and sun made look everything snappy and new. It was definitely a feast for eyes. It was 15 minutes after 1 and I took a walk down the G.N. Chetty Road. Both sides of the roads were impeccably clean and without any pot holes and puddle of water. I didn’t have to walk consciously looking to save my clothes from the speeding car going through the puddle of water. I was wondering if Chennai is all prepared for the monsoon and how efficient and prepared was the city when it comes to handling crisis. None of the folks on the road were carrying an umbrella or a rain gear, people were pretty sure that it won’t rain during the day. Let us wait and see if their prediction was better than the weather man. Well the civic authorities say they are re laying 600 kms of roads in the city and have cleaned and de-silted storm water drains and are identifying other drains that can help the when storm arrives. We will have to wait for the monsoon to test the preparedness.

I’ve recently picked up this habit of going for a walk during my lunch hour. My boss in US used to do this during his lunch break. At the age of 60 he used to be active mentally and physically. This walk definitely clears the cobwebs in our head and makes you feel fresh, but I don’t guarantee pollution free roads. Subway has opened its 3rd franchise (in Chennai) right down the street where I work. I could see the yuppie crowd lining up for their subs. To carter to the population with spicy taste buds, Subway has Indianized a few of their recipes. Right across from Subway is “Murugan Idly shop” which carter’s traditional south Indian food. I have seen people queuing outside the restaurant during the evenings. The make lip smacking delicious Ildy’s (rice cakes) and chutneys (spicy sauces) to go with it. If you are calorie conscious or diabetic, we have “Desire” that sells traditional sweets without sugar. They have replaced sugar with other forms which breaks down faster without raising the blood sugar level. If you are on a fruit diet, then you have vendors on the sidewalk ready with juicy Washington apples and Florida oranges. Tender coconut juice from Kerala was sold as well.

Traffic was not much during this time of the day, but the two-wheeler population was steady and driving orderly. Not many women were walking out of the jewelers and textile shop raping their husband’s credit card. The Vasool Rajas of Chennai (auto guys) were were not that busy during this time of the day and were napping under the trees after having their home made lunch. The meter in the auto’s don’t work and they drivers adamantly and arrogantly demand fleece on poor passengers. They other day when I called an auto to go to my home from work, the guy asked me Rs. 60 for 2 kms. I was so pissed off at the auto guy that I told him I was not willing to pay less than a 100 and since he had asked me for 60 I had to turn him down. He was pissed at my reply and went scouting around for other victims. Well Chennai is still a beautiful place irrespective of the auto guys. I will cover Ranganathan street and Pondy Bazaar, the market places in Chennai later this week.

Hang in there and come back soon for more updates on Chennai.

2 comments:

  1. Rains in Chennai, sounds cool. Chennai always reminds me of a dry and hot city, very vibrant though.

    Javed

    ReplyDelete
  2. the auto guy...funny story. Once i got the opposite. the auto offered a ridiculous low price, like 20 rs. I was tempted to say, hey are you crazy ? Please offer me a more decent price!
    actually i did so when i gave him the tip. The guy was smart! I took him because he was cheaper than the others, and finally gave him at least as much as to the others... All the better!

    ReplyDelete