Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Why are we here today?



Are you really proud of yourself? Are you feeling that we’ve conquered the World? Do you think you are better than the Western World today? I don’t know if you should feel proud about the way you are today or you must feel distraught.

Well read this passage below and then decide…..

It was February, 1835 , a time when the British were striving to take control of the whole of India. Lord Macaulay, a historian and a politician, made a historical speech in the British Parliament, commonly referred to as The Minutes, which struck a blow at the centuries old system of Indian education. His words were to this effect: I have travelled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such calibre, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation , which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and , therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own ,they will lose their self-esteem, their native self-culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation. (Source: The Awakening Ray,Vol.4 No.5, The Gnostic Centre) Reproduced in Niti issue of April,2002 at p.10- a periodic publication of Bharat Vikas Parishad, Delhi.

I was very much troubled reading this passage. I truly don’t know what I have personally gained in life and what I have missed in life. But as a country we have lost to our British and they knew the art of paralyzing the system and making us neurotic. With a heavy heart and questioning mind I am retiring for the day…..

No comments:

Post a Comment