Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Having fun at work!!!

We all know how blood drives can be – it is eerie and bloody everywhere and at time felt like a mortuary. We had one such drive at work today and trust me there was no life in the room. All the doctors and their helpers were looking like blood thirsty vampires. People queue up to fill the questionnaire at one end, some middle fingers (not funny dude!!) being pricked to test hemoglobin levels and some arms being primed and pumped on the sphygmomanometer. My pressure was already shooting up seeing the decorum and I wanted immediately bring in missing element in the room – humor!!

I was looking around for my bakra, and there was Salini all ready and to go on the table. They asked her to get on the table and covered her with a blanket and she was looking like a perfect mummy now, and was even better than her Egyptian cousins. I seriously didn’t understand the blanket business here. Then they slipped in needle in her mighty arm and stuck in a stress ball to play with. She was somber and quiet all the while, but the mood suddenly changed when the ball got between her fingers. She was like a kid in the candy store going full throttle with it. I noticed this could the ice-breaker for the eerie room devoid of humor.
Me: Salini how are you liking it?Salini: it is no funny Chandra!!
Me: I mean squeezing the ball? (It took her a few seconds and then her blub went “bling”)
Salini: (She screamed on top of her voice ) You shut up now!!!
Me: Yeah yeah… you are never good at hiding your emotions and I know you love to squeeze balls and you are enjoying it.
Salini was so annoyed and hissing like a snake (preferably Anaconda). If give a chance she would have loved to exchange the stress ball with mine. Though people felt I was loud and obnoxious, but they seem to open up with smiles and surprise. Oh boy!! Where did this species come from? I caught a few silently enjoying vitriolic humor. In the meantime I changed the focus to my other colleague Lakshman giving a stiff competition for Salini (Lekshman is in the background in the above picture). My abhorrent self was back at Lekshman.
Me: So Lekshman, for a change you are not squeezing your own.
Lekshman’s face was painted with embarrassment and shame. Now there was lot more noise in the room and people were talking and the atmosphere was all charged up.
If you thought this was it, No no no…. Every dog has it day and so did I…
Salini was hoping to find an opportunity to get even with me.

Salini: Chandra! Your blood is beetroot red in color. Did you have beet root last night?
Chandra: how dumb Salini! This is blood and not shit.
The entire team on the floor was cackling and showing all 32. It looked more like a Dental camp than a blood drive. Enjoy every moment of life without any regret!! Now get back to work buddies…

1 comment:

  1. That was funny. I hope we have more of your ilk around.

    We indians seem to celebrate our dourness.

    Get up and smile people... we have a short life...

    ReplyDelete