Saturday, July 12, 2008

Going gaga over Diamonds?

I came back from work and I looked around the house for the newspaper. I wanted to catch up with my morning friend before I left for gym. Like an ostrich I love to bury my face in it until I feel comfortable to see and talk to people in the morning. My beauty sleep had stretched beyond 8 am that morning and I had to skip my lovey dovey hour with my friend. It felt like going to work fully dressed without underwear, my spirits were loose and dangling. Hahah…

Waiting for my mothers filter coffee I turned to soiled newspaper, thanks to my dad. I was trying to arrange the sheets and there was this interesting article on the last page of “The Hindu” that arrested my eye balls. I was skimming through the article and by then my mother was ready with coffee made from freshly brewed Arabica. She was getting my spirits high with the coffee, I looked at the sparkling diamonds in her ear and what I was going to come out with was certain to dousing her spirits. “Do you know that you may be wearing your dead ancestors, animals in your ears and nose?” She was mortified when she heard it and the expression on her face were contorted. Should we have this conversation was what her expression said.

Till then I have never thought that the expensive diamonds that adorn the tiaras, crowns and decorate the gods and goddesses in the temples all came from dead animals, plants and humans. A Masters degree in chemical engineering and I had forgotten my science lessons and I had find a cover to hide my sparkling ignorance. What a shame!!

Coming back to diamonds, how beautiful is it to wear your dead mother, father, husband or grandmother in the form of a diamond pendant or a ring? There they are helplessly dangling around my neck. Sounds really weird, huh? Well this is what people are doing today.

Click here to read more on this….
http://media.www.thewestgeorgian.com/media/storage/paper523/news/2007/03/14/News/Diamonds.Out.Of.The.Dead.Making.Fasionably.Late.Relatives-2774403.shtml

We just need to re-write a tamil adage, “elephants are worth in thousands even if dead” to humans. The lust for diamonds will always sparkle even after death.

1 comment:

  1. good one,,,,its a good way to keep our ancectors close to us.women r so concerned about no longer fore fathers,,, ha ha ha ,,,,,,may b round the neck or in ears or hand they keep them close,,,,heera hai sada k liyeeee

    ReplyDelete