Sunday, July 27, 2008

Aadi Virus in Chennai - Retailacious

A slew of bomb attacks left Bangalore and Ahmedabad in a state of panic, while a virulent strain of virus has set its foot on the soils of Tamil Nadu and in particular Chennai. What is happening to the country? Who is responsible? Was this virus home grown or imported? Men, women or children who are more vulnerable to the attack? The city and its citizens are grappling for answers.

Let me use the opening line from the movie “Sex and the City” – “People come to NYC in search of love and labels”. Is it the same virus that pushed people to NYC arrive in Chennai?

Though the virus attack is prevalent throughout the city, the attack in the retail districts of Nungambakkam, T-Nagar and Kilpauk has been severe. People driving by the retail districts say they felt empowered and were eventually overpowered by the virus. The virus has made Chennaizens indulgent, elated, crave for validation and feel drawn towards the retail outlets. Retailers both local and global brands reported that citizens went on a shopping frenzy and cash registers were ringing constantly. The aftermath of the attack is yet to be analyzed, but it left some people guilty, broke and emotionally emaciated. A few reports say the virus is communicable and the outbreak of this virus strain is usually expected in the month of “Aadi” (Jul 15 – Aug 15). The virus was prone to attack women more than single and family men. Retailers were more prepared to take on this virus than customers. Chennai Corporation is yet to analyze the retail virus, the catastrophe of the epidemic and measures taken to contain the virus.

Don’t we all like to play the victim card? Yes, I was an innocent victim of this retail bug. It was Friday, I had a good time at work, and nothing happened that left me and orphan in the emotional dumpster and there was no need to engage in retail therapy, but I did. There is no logical reasoning to all human behaviors and importantly gluttonous impulsive human behavior when it comes to sex and shopping.

Who doesn’t want love and who doesn’t want to look good in labels? I pulled my colleague for a small trip to a few branded sports outlet around the corner from my office. We decided we will go under the detective veil and check out if the retailers are really offering deep discounts. Every outlet in Chennai have this Aadi sale going on and all of them said “Flat 40% off” instead of the usual retail gimmick “upto to 40% off”. I was flattered with this marketing campaign. Five minutes into the trip both of us were convinced that “Adidas” and “Nike” were over priced and they were getting rid of their fashion faux pas from the previous season. Like the beggars who went around in search of free food and shelter, we gravitated towards “Reebok”. I pulled over to the shoulder, basically my thinking lane - will the security guards and sales guys treat me with same respect during the time of sale? I had to remind myself that I was not looking for respect, but for deals, steal deals!

It all started with a pair of socks for 60 Rs. (ofcourse after discount) and this set the stone rolling. I was convinced that this retailer really had a sale and road side Romeos can look like Prince at affordable cost. With “loser” tattooed on my forehead, I didn’t want to lose this opportunity to look good at cheap price. The hormonal rush made me go around the store looking for deals on everything from t-shirts to towels to underwear. I closed my eyes and I imagined myself walking around in branded clothing, it was a powerful visual, it made me feel invigorated, beautiful, and delectable. I went on a retail rage and when I reached the counter the rage caused me a whopping 3000 Rs. What a way to feel empowered, and validated!

The virus not only invaded my wallet and credit limit, but it made me the campaign manager. I instantly SMSed my friends and when I was at the gym that evening I was panting “Reebok” on the treadmill. My therapist usually says a good night sleep will calm the brain storm, but this retail storm didn’t seem to abate any soon. My retail therapy turned neurotic. A colleague came home the following morning and I promptly exhibited my shopping skills like a proud fisherman exhibiting his priceless catch. I was subconsciously selling the brand and the deal to him, should I call this slow poisoning? May be this was a communicable strain of virus?

Is it me or the virus that was turning him green? He didn’t want to feel let out and he decided to keep up with the Joneses. Shopping never featured in his list of activities for the day and here he was suddenly making plans with me to go to the same shop again. Well that is how I was before the virus preyed on me. The virus clutched on to him, converted and manipulated him in minutes.

Well every opportunity missed or used comes with a price tag, but there is no discount on any of them. He didn’t discount my words and we were going around shopping like a proud peacock. What started as planned shopping now became binge shopping and our need was turning in glut. We exited Reebok showroom after his purchase and drove by alley besides the showroom to beat traffic and get back home soon. My friend decided that we must go looking for deals on formal wear and also look at International brands like Louis Philippe and Van Heusen as well. Wow…wow…wow the town was plagued with the virulent virus strain.

We didn’t notice any red lights, and all we noticed was red tags and season sale flyers. In minutes we were in the showroom and I was running around like a kid in the candy store or may be like a beheaded chicken? But I was still sane and consciously not looking at full priced stuff, but asking the salesman for discounted stuff. Every now and then I did a reality check – am I doing the right purchases? Will I look like a prince in this attire? My ego came out of my head and praised my prudence and shopping sensibility. I was in the state of sublimation in a few minutes. The opportunity cost for joint retail therapy totaled up to 10000 Rs on the formal wear and I had 10K on my credit card just from that weekend. The only prevention was to stay at home or cover your eyes and plug your ears while in the retail area.

Anyone who knows a little science will tell you condensation follows sublimation. From a solid man I instantly became a gas pot, without any shape and full of me. Nevertheless, the feeling of high didn’t last long, and by sun down the adrenalin rush abated and the virus had left my body and spirits weak. I never realized that the search for labels would set the love hate relationship in me. Some temptations can be sinful, some can turn emotionally addictive and some can be emotionally draining. This virus was really potent.

My sublimed ego was in fluid state and while I was in savasana that night the Pandora’s Box opened. Questions and more came out and each of them stood in front of me, there was no escape. There verdict was out, I tested positive for bingeing, manipulation, ego validation, and selfish behavior. My treacherous mind that once felt empowered, supreme and validated was now clouded with guilt, shame and felt exposed.

But is there any cure for the virus attack? I couldn’t come up with any answer for this binge behavior. I had never splurged on myself and this was the first time I went berserk. I was not running low on Vitamin C and I was not worried about paying my credit card, I felt spending on myself was sinful. A rich soul suddenly felt poor, naked and remorseful. Going through the mill of emotions, I don’t know if I will enjoy wearing the clothes I purchased this weekend. I felt like a discounted and discredited soul….Aadi was no enjoy maadi L for me. Retailacious turned horrolacious.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Chandron,
    Its a very humurous blog and i was laughing through when i read this, the virus seems to be like 'Dasavatharam' VAYAL and its Obnoxious. The way you went running around like a kid in a store just doesnt make me stop laughing. Very well Written. Keep Sharing...

    Anii

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the experience makes you believe that this is a local situation, we have further news! The virus seems to be a global epidemic .. a victim in London informs. There are 'upto 70%' off sales which end up eating amounts into your wallet that you would think are ludicrous for stuff that you no longer have room for in the 1BR apartment! So now you need to buy a new wardrobe to store all these clothes and shoes ... time to look for another sale.. for furniture this time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very humorous write up.

    Hope you dont get a third attack and end up buying more than what you can wear.

    I hope to see you like a prince in your new clothes next time.

    have you heard of the Emperor's new clothes.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. amusing write up ,,,,,,,i am paying over credit limit charges this month that is very well balancing my discounts huh,,,,this virus is really powerful and active in delhi too,,,

    ReplyDelete