Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tuesdays with Chandra

I am inspired by Mitch Albom’s Tuesday with Morrie and plan to make this post every Tuesday. There is no striking similarity between me, Mitch and Morrie, except the “Tuesdays”. Tuesdays with Chandra is just an interesting phase of life that I am going through. I am recording as I am experiencing and I will write till I am exhausted or turn breathless.

I am just a healthy human being both in mind and body (atleast I believe and feel that way). Well it is normal for everybody to feel healthy until and unless proved otherwise! And when proved or disproved, may be every Mitch has a possibility to turn into a Morrie? But don’t be sure of every Morrie to effuse the same wisdom.

For a man who has worked out 6 days a week for the past 11 years, practiced yoga for the past 4 years, indulged in physical activity of all kinds from swimming, cricket, skiing in New Hampshire bunjee jumping in Tennessee, to trekking at 18000 ft in Himalayas, and importantly one who ate healthy, a health check-up never featured on the priority list. A recent evaluation revealed that I was more fit and flexible than the trainers at the gym. Heard of health miles? If at all I could redeem these miles, I may just ask for an ailment, a repair and maintenance free old age with a peaceful and dignified end.

Given the genetic pre-disposition to heart ailments in the family, If there was an option I would have donated these health miles as heart miles (does the recipient needs to pay gift tax?). But for someone who has decided to stay single for this life, healthy lifestyle is an absolute non-negotiable. And today I understand that charity comes only after self sufficiency.

I may sound like a vampire if I said I love of blood. In reality, I loved donation aspect of blood. All of us have blood, but not many of us are healthy and happy to donate. And as a healthy citizen, I considered blood donation a way to service the man-kind and it was the only way I could share my health miles.

Ever since I turned 18, I would mark my calendar and would stop by the blood bank every three months to add to their diminishing supply. Sometimes I made donation at the hospital blood bank and got an opportunity to meet the recipient, but most of the times I had no clue about the recipient. The latest donation was the book fair in January and the very moment I saw the mobile blood van I jumped right in and even tried to brainwash my healthy friend who came along with me to donate. I failed to convince him, but nevertheless my donation continued with pride.

The first time I won 2 medals for my physical power and endurance was last year. One for bench press, another for squat in the 30-35 age group category. The first one certified my upper body power, while the second one testified my lower body strength. I still remember that Monday morning. I was swarmed by the trainers as soon as I entered the gym and within minutes without any warm up I was benching 120 kgs and squatting 90 kgs. I put the medal around her neck for giving birth to a healthy child and feeding me nutritious meals for 35 years. I felt proud and committed to my health and fitness levels, but never felt arrogant or over confident. Surprises do come without notice and that is what makes life unpredictable and interesting.

See you next Tuesday.....

5 comments:

  1. This post made me smile throughout. What a beautiful thought. Hope this encourages more of us to 'pass on our health miles'. And my surprise for the day? Chandra can do a headstand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chandra, You can do all the things you do because you are in shape physically. I think physical fitness is also good for the mine and thinking. A person who is not healthy can not think coherently. Congratulations. Your message brought meaning and spirituality to me. Bless you dear soul. Clay V. Sink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chandra, must confess I so chicken-out near syringes and hospital environs that I have not made a blood donation ever :(. Shall try 'apply' the mind-over-matter fundas to this problem though.
    Congrats on your medals! Loved that you ''put them on her neck''.
    God bless and give you many health-miles more

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Chandra... grt effort u have put in to build up urself ths way... not many can do...out of their busy life n daily schedules... i hope tht continues with u... forever...and as i told u earlier... its a phase of life... watever u r goin thru... ll pass.. jus have patience...n be happy always... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really proud of you,dear chandra

    mom and dad should be rightfully proud of you

    how i missed you all these years,in the blog

    excusable,my daughter bought the computer for me only three years back! which i am learning by

    pecking at the alphabets

    you certainly inherited a lot from your grandpa,he was really "rajamani"

    seenu,kunniyur

    ReplyDelete