Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Indian Style @ Brussles (Part 2)

Let me start with a question,so what is the best way to begin a vacation? Is it by visiting touristy places and tasting local cuisine? Is it to let outyour locked-up cravings out and being yourself? Or is it spending time withyour friend ?

At RueNeuve - Isn’t vacation all about enjoying the simple pleasures of life?

He cautioned me about RueNeuve, the retail district of Brussels, but I convinced him that my craving was reservedfor crepes, waffles and chocolates – isn’t that what Belgium is famous for? Infacthe caught me incessantly and salaciously starring at every mobile waffle cartand confirmed my craving wasn’t fake. Those waffles had generous spread of Nutella(like sun-screen), covered with sliced bananas and strawberries and garnishedwith hot chocolate
sauce. Even a saint would salivate looking at that.

But besides mouth watering crepes,waffles and chocolates, there is something strong lurking inside me. We were onRue Neuve and right outside Pull & Bear, his favorite clothing brand. Sincewe had so much in common, I was completely convinced that his choice would makeme happy and I blindly followed him around like a puppy on leash. He said hepicked up his entire wardrobe on Sale for a throw away price. Ever been to theThanksgiving Day sale at Macys? That is how I ran into the store after seeingthe “Solden” board outside. His words were tempting and the Solden board passedon the control to the puppy on Rue Neuve and the poor friend was running behindthe leash.

I reminded myself of the vow Ihad taken at the start of the New Year “No Retail Therapy”, specificallyclothes shopping in 2013 and I only completed 30 days. Now I was headedstraight to markdown stuff, looked at shorts, tees, shirts, jeans and shoes.The long wait time to get to the trial room didn’t deter me from taking a dozenof clothes to try and it was all € 8 items that were making me even more powerfuland happy.

Colors were bright, thematerial was suitable for Chennai Summer and I didn’t even botherseeking his approval or opinion, and the only time I needed his help was whenthe cashier at the billing counter asked for another credit card since minewouldn’t go through. I was not embarrassed and I shamelessly accepted when heoffered to swipe his card and he didn’t talk about repayment – it was all unsaid andunderstood. This is truly another Indian style – we don’t wait for our friendsto ask for help and we always do that extra mile and that is part of thefriendship.
A smalldetour: Last August I visited my friend Bala who lives on the West Coast of USand we traveled to LA, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, San Francisco and at the end of the trip he wouldn’t split the expenses. When I asked him why, he replied that I had come all the way from India to be with him and that friendship is never about money! Now do you get to learn the Indian style and why I celebrate my friends?

So come back next week to readabout Temple of Beer (not our Tasmac), Grand Palace, Manekken Pis, and moreshopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment