Thursday, May 1, 2014

Paris Metro Chronicles

The last time I was showered with a racial slur was post 9/11 in the US and I was walking back from the business school in downtown Providence in the evening. And after 13 years I went through racial slur in Paris today. At 25 I was threatened to fight back, but today, 13 years later I was proud to have fought back.

I was on line 3 on the Paris metro this morning traveling from Parmentier to Republique. As soon as I got in the carriage, a white man sitting by the door started to mumble in French and kept starring at me. I dismissed his mumble and stare and tried to look away. I gave him the benefit of doubt: mentally unwell. But soon the intimidation turned vulgar when he placed his middle finger on his cheek. Annoyed by his behavior (stare, mumble and finger pointing) I decided to question him than move away.

Intimidated by my standing up, he continued to mumble in French with a hope that I would leave. I threatened to call the police, but the threat didn't seem to work and he continued to mumble and utter racial slurs. 

While I raised my voice questioning his behavior the half-a-dozen co-passengers turned silent and attentive. None came up to my support and watched as if it was a free entertainment. I call this behavior the urban indifference, where people rarely stand up against crimes and social evils. We may think the Western Civilization is more responsible, concerned and participative, but in reality they are selfish and self-centered and will let any crime go unquestioned in the interest of their safety and security. And finally, I flexed my muscles and threatened to break his facial bones and threw him out of the metro, if he didn't stop his bullying. The crowd in the compartment watched me standup for myself. 

As the train reached Republique I kept an eye on the man and I was even prepared to face knives and guns and even clobber him and pin him down to the floor, if needed. I wanted to teach a lesson to the man and unconcerned co-passengers. Before the door opened, I raised my voice and thanked the co-passengers for their help and asked them to atleast stand up for themselves, if not for others. Defending your safety and self-respect is not violence! 

Such crimes may happen in your city, but never turn blind eye to such incidences and let bullies get away. Stand-up against crimes that you witness in your community and remember, what goes around comes around.

1 comment:

  1. Chandra, darn good u stood up. You should have flexed ur muscles ...since we all know you really can :-)

    On a more serious note...it's such a pity that racism continues to persist among Indians and we may be its worst offenders. Like the other day, when one of my aunts referred to this highly distinguished family friend and remarked , " He is so black! Nobody can believe he is the CEO of a company if you look at him."
    We may not sledge, openly pass comments ...but our thoughts seem equally vicious.

    ReplyDelete