Thursday, August 7, 2014

Was it just a lip service?

I went for my annual health check-up this morning in a private laboratory (it has been around for 75 years and accredited by The American Institute of Pathologists) in Royapettah. This was the same lab that diagnosed my congenital heart issue a few years ago. But today, I was 

appalled by 4 things:


- Sanitation: when I went to collect my urine sample and I had to ask myself if I had stepped in a private lab or in a Government hospital in India. It is a well know fact that Indians don't know how to use use toilets and how to leave them clean for others to use. The toilet wasn't cleaned from the day before and I was afraid that I might catch an infection from using the toilet. 


- Safety: those technicians collecting blood samples didn't wear gloves and X-ray technician didn't wear the radiation protection coat. How can I feel safe if employees don't observe safety norms?


- Unhealthy: breakfast before post prandial was rice cakes(idli) and vada (fried lentil ground). Think of 60+ with high lipid profile who come for blood sugar test. Pfff! When I raised this point with the management they told me that some patients ask for vada along with their breakfast. I told them that expections ought to be set with patients and they must be told it is a healthy breakfast and not a party meal.


- Chaotic: lack of staff to supervise, instruct and guide people made the ambience chaotic


95% of those who came to the lab this morning were retired senior citizens and some frowned at the process, but none of them went beyond complaining. During my wait time, I managed to put together a flow chart of how the stations must be arranged and wrote a one page letter to the management. Upon seeing my letter I was called inside for a conversation. They accepted all my points and promised to address them.  I asked them to join the queue in the morning to test the system and process, before and after they implemented any changes. 


What I saw at the lab that morning wasn't any different from what I see in Government buildings. This is a result of Lack of user feedback and people using the system not being involved in designing and testing the process.  


Will it be another #lipservice? 

No comments:

Post a Comment