Monday, May 25, 2015

The End Enacted 30 Years Ago

I am a big fan of actresses from 70-80s, not only for their classical beauty, but also for the characters they performed. Sujatha, Sri Vidya, Sri Priya, Jaya Sudha, Prameela are among them. 

Late actress Sujatha who played some worthy roles in all South Indian languages. She beautiful too and Late K. Balachandar brought her to Tamil cinema and gave her some plum roles in his movies Avargal, Aval Appadithan, etc.

Not all actors get a chance to act the scripts of their life and audiences also don't know if real life and can mirror reel life. I happen to watch one of Sujatha's movies today, Aalaya Deepam, where she plays a role of an actress in that movie and finally passes away in the movie due to heart failure. 

When my father was in Apollo in 2004 for his bypass, I saw Sujatha and her husband at Apollo. I didn't know if she had come to visit someone, but when I read her obituary in 2011 I realized that she may have been there for a consultation then. 

Sadly, 30 years after Aalya Deepam movie, she passed away due to cardiac failure. After watching the movie, I searched YouTube for videos shot at her funeral. A few minutes of footage is available and she still looked like the woman I saw in the balcony of her home in East Abhiramapuram. 

Movie stars enact scripts that can sometimes have an uncanny resemblance to their real life stories. We may never know the resemblance to the script until death arrives and we as audience are forced to wipe away tears and live with memories. 
Salute to these directors and women actors, who've continue to make my Sunday afternoons thoughtful and meaningful. Miss you Sujatha and Sri Vidya.

No comments:

Post a Comment