Saturday, November 26, 2016

Exams and Friends

Visiting a country is like writing an exam, it requires some preparation and you are tested for your genuineness by the Embassy before you are given the admit card. While I was able to get mine without much trouble, my friend who was joining me on this trip from the US had a harrowing time trying to prove the genuineness of his trip.

The Embassy questioned our accommodations as the travel emails from Booking.com didn't have either of our names. While he tried to convince the Embassy by showing a copy of our tickets and my visa to prove the genuineness of the trip, the remained far from being convinced. They demanded more documentation and the back and forth conversation went on for 10-days and wasn't looking very promising. Should we even visit a country that didn't trust our intent crossed both our minds, but we wanted to prove our genuineness irrespective of our travel.

We had prepared for this exam together and had planned to appear together, but  now it looked like only I might travel. With just 24 hours to our journey the Embassy was still undecided on his candidature. At 3.45 am India time I get a message from my friend informing me that a decision was made. Am I alone on this trip or will he get his visa on time to catch the flight in three hours? And he did!

If the ordeal of getting the admit card was over, we now had to endure the stress of sitting for the exam. We had booked our flights to land an hour apart at Narita and also fixed a spot where we would meet to pick up our JR Rail pass and Ninja Wifi before we head into the city.

But what unfolded when my flight touched down Hong Kong airport turned the exam from a closed book into an open book. I missed the connecting flight and had to take the next flight 3-hours later, but to Haneda and not Narita. How do I get across the message to him and plan my travel from Haneda got to me. Shortly, what clouded my mind was his preparedness to travel on his own into the city and get to the accommodation. I sent him a text message with a hope that he would turn on his mobile upon arrival and boarded my flight to Haneda.

Once I landed at Haneda I had a text message waiting from my friend that instantly brought me relief. He had made it to the city and had in fact checked into the hotel and even finished his dinner at a nearby Indian restaurant. And he had also figured out my travel options and was waiting come at receive me at the Shinobazu exit at Ueno station and take me to the hotel. It is friends who make both life and exams feel like a breeze. Don't you agree?

The Embassy tested our genuineness, will the Japanese people make us feel welcomed and special and our preparedness prove adequate? 

3 comments: