Friday, February 3, 2017

How to win a million likes for your vacation pictures

Unlike earlier generations that kept pictures to the last, used films to capture moments, waited for nature to light the shot and eventually for days to print and enjoy those moments, today's digital generation think about pictures before they plan their vacation. And technology has not only made it easier to take pictures, but also increased our urge to take pictures making us compete at the speed of light, review and repeat till we are satisfied. 

The truth is that someone's vacation pictures often inspire us to make our plans and aspire for something better. The second truth is that today's generation is fixated on making a statement of their life and happiness through pictures on social media. 

As a result, even before we let our brains absorb and enjoy the beauty, aesthetics and grandeur of the place, we pull out our cameras to digitally capture and instantly share them on Facebook and Instagram. From then on, we often check on the likes and shares to judge if our vacation was worthy enough, inspired people or made them jealous than enjoy the vacation. 

So, how does the self-obsessed generation click and share best vacation pictures with all these distractions?

Begin your journey with Google 
Through our extensive usage we've transitioned Google from a noun to verb. From answering our search queries, giving us a digital view of the place, to 3D mapping, Google has become a digital genie enriching our lives. A simple search on Google reveals a million pictures of Taj Mahal and flicking through the library gives you an idea for possible angles, views, best time to capture, etc. 

Explore with Google Maps 
All roads may lead to Rome, but only certain roads are scenic and offer unabated views. The first time I was on Avenue Kleber à Paris, I came to a standstill at the intersection of Rue de l'Amiral Hamelin when I spotted man-made marvel. Nobody told me that I Eiffel Tower plays a peek-a-boo between the old buildings on Rue de l'Amiral Hamelin. Similarly, the sunrise view from Pont Alexandre lll and a ride on  Metro 6 between Tour Eiffel and Bir Hakim stations brings out the beauty of both River Seine and Eiffel Tower. So, before you set out to visit, explore possible routes that can add beauty to your pictures and earn you distinction.

Best shots at sunrise or sunset? 
When I landed at Ankor Wat after my breakfast, I discovered that the monument faces the West. It was a long trek to get there and I didn’t go without taking a picture. I played around with my DSLR for quite some time to capture a shot and I ended up with a silhouette despite overexposing the background. Had I checked on Google Maps for direction of the monument, I could have scheduled my visit towards early afternoon to get best shots of the ornate facade.

Check out postcards at local gift shops and bookstores
Over the years, I've gotten wise. When I went to Barcelona to enjoy Gaudi's architecture, I visited a bookstore to look at postcards at display. Pictures on postcards are often taken by experts and it inspires people like me with ideas of all possible shots, angles and approaches to explore Sagrada Familia, Park Güell and other monuments. 

Time your visit 
Sometimes people add beauty to pictures, while at other times crowds can kill your picture. Timing your visit is crucial to capture the right mood and ambience. I skipped visiting Tsukiji Market in Tokyo in the wee hours, a busy time when whales are auctioned and later realized that dynamic crowds around dead mammals are best shots to capture.

Hope you find my mistakes and tips helpful in capturing stunning pictures on your next trip and multiplying your followers on social media.

Coming next: 5 days in Paris (must-see places, picturesque spots, best time to visit and take pictures and more...)

No comments:

Post a Comment