Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Final countdown FY 2006


I have been discussing, gossiping, criticizing, tongue lashing about Chennai, world politics, western world and many more, but it is time to take a stock on my self. What do you say?

Well the curtain for the Year 2005 is slowly coming down while the welcome bells for 2006 can be heard loud. Another 32 days to go everybody is making plans FY 2006. It has been quite a challenging year from me but I have managed to hold on to the dinghy and stay alive. I took out my report card to look at the areas where I’ve scored and done well and make a note of other areas where I really needed to put in some work. I would have been disappointed if I had scored straight A’s this year, while the bar raises, there is always room for improvement and more work. My ego is not gloating in pride and success, but rather faltering.

A Lot of changes on the professional front with the new job and added responsibilities, and people complexities. The first half of the year was an adrenalin rush operating on the 4th quadrant without much time to even breath and rest. It was live on the goe kind of life, very reactive. While I had no choice rather than operate on quadrant 4, though personally I am a Q1, Q2 kind of a person. The live wire, electric chair experience can never be forgotten. Though I would have loved a little more time to breath and stretch, but professionally is was absolutely astounding and enriching. More changes happen on the second half of the year. The grass didn’t seem to look greener on the other side anymore. Is this because I have accepted life as it unfolds or settled down to the reality that the grass on the other side is never green? I had a little more time for self and lot different things to play with and learn. Some professional disappointments and set backs but I made up for it in the end of the year. I would rate myself a 7 out of 10 on the professional front.

On the personal front the first half of year was kind of rocky. Professional commitments taking away most of my time I personally hated myself for not having set aside time for me. Living away from the family and frequent travels made weekends even busier. When the body is tired how could the soul feel energetic? The second half of the year was spiritually more fulfilling and satiating for the soul. Moving back to Chennai and living with a family and a taking up less demanding role gave me the much needed rest. My soul was jumping around like energizer bunny making trips to temples from South to North India. Personally evaluating myself, I would rate 5 out of 10.

I have a lot of homework to be done Year 2006. I have started my goal setting exercise both on the personal front and on the professional front. Metrics for evaluation are pretty stringent and very quantitative. Well those of you reading this message will probably have similar plans for the New year. Share your experiences on Year 2005 and your achievements. Isn’t it nice to have a POB (pat on your back) every now and then?


Some of my friends, colleagues will be reading this post. Well if you feel there are a couple of areas where I can improve, feel free to share them with me either on this space or email me at kdbulls@gmail.com . All your comments and suggestions will be taken without any disheartenment and frown.


In the end it is between you and God, remember this during your goal setting excercise. Let us empower the soul and not the ego!

Woods are lovely dark and deep
But I have many promises to keep
Miles to go before I sleep
Miles to go before I sleep…..

Lord Tennyson

No comments:

Post a Comment