Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Relinquished Relationship

Adapting to change and changing landscapes in life should be handled with sensitivity and sense. Though I have managed quite well to these changes, I don’t know how my dear friend managed. There were days when this guy made my day and pepped my self esteem to the brim and there were days he was absolutely useless. With firm molars at the beginning, blunt incisors in between and wisdom tooth at end he was tenaciously clinging to my closet. Did you guess who this closeted friend could be?

My relationship with him dates back to my childhood. I have been having him in my closet for a long time and I don’t remember the last time I used him. When I was cleaning my closet the past weekend I noticed him lying at one corner without any patronage. He was dull wearing no smile and with wisdom teeth still in place I found he had no wisdom to handle rejection. This friend never changed colors and was very committed in our relationship. I wanted to give him a decent farewell for all the hard work, rough days and for not being an infidel. I don’t know if he was grief stricken because I was ready to let go off him or because he was of no use in my life. He has seen through my good and bad days and today was the milestone in our relationship. I was ready to give him a decent
farewell.

I brought him wrappedup in a white cloth with all respect as though he was dead. I called my mother who was busy doing her morning chores. But when she saw me bringing something sheheeded to my call. Was it a gift for Diwali? I placed him in her hand and let her unveil his identity. Her eyes brimming with curiosity and her inquisitive smile made it look like the twilight sunset. Honestly there was no reason for me holding on to him and for the last time I used and felt the 40 legged centipede and kissed him a final good bye with all smile. The moment by mother unveiled the cloth and saw the naked truth she filled the quiet house with a thunder of laughter and there was a silver lining on my unshaven face.

Arrogantly exhibiting the vacant real estate on my head and letting my fingers play teen taal, I relinquished him with no regret.

Take your guess to identify my friend.

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha too good. I like the last statement in which you have used a soft satire against yourself.

    -Uma

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just brilliant!! You are still the same frat.

    - RV

    ReplyDelete