Sunday, October 15, 2006

Trespassing in God’s Own Land

We all take a break now and then from the monotonous, grueling routines of life and pack our bags to a calm destination to unwind and enjoy the quiet moments of life. Each of us have different concept when it comes to vacation and retreat spots. This vacation of mine was to visit temples around Kerala, understand the culture, understand the architecture and appreciate beauty in its pristine form while letting the soul and mind to relax.



The moment you close your eyes and think of Kerala all you can picture are the beautiful back waters laced with catamarans, the deep blue Arabian Sea and the tall coconut trees decorating every inch of the land? Well there is more to the beauty of Kerala not just in flora and faune but in the way of life. People throng Kerala to enjoy the gorgeous beaches, pamper themselves with the ayurveda panchakarma treatments, and sip the coconut and enjoy the lagoon retreats. The scorching summers of Kerala usually are not inviting but I still I chose April month to beat the tourist traffic and the Sabarimala season. I started my trip in central Kerala and moved north towards Ernakulaman and Thrissur and ended in Pattambi. In the process of traveling through greener pastures in the God’s own Country, I got to experience and appreciate the finer aspects of culture, religion and lifestyle.

Before I continue this, I must thank my good friend Karun, without his help this journey would an insatiable dream. My current project was to visit the 13 of the 108 vaishnavite shrines in Kerala, but then the list of other popularly known and not so know temples came in the list. He was instrumental in putting my itenary together and was more than a GPS system. He would check on me every now and then from dawn till dusk and guide me to the temples in remote villages of Kerala and explain the significance of each temple. I was having a tutorial session before every visit to the temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment