Friday, May 25, 2012

My response to Caste Census

When I opened the refrigerator I saw there was a pot full of buttermilk flavored with mustard seeds, asafoetida and garnished with curry leaves. I asked my mother if she was expecting guests over and she replied she had made it for the guys who were coming around for the caste census.

I closed the door of the refrigerator door and told my mother that i have no problem with her afternoon buttermilk party but we need to decide if we want to participate in this exercise as criminal in nature as sex determination.

1. As Brahmins we have already lost so much wrt to our caste and reservation policies and today we are first ones to flee the nation in search of good education and job.

2. Reservation policy and quota is based on such census report and this only divides the Indian society and creates a climate for another Godhra and Ayodha.

3. Such census is more for political manipulation and to divide and rule the country based on caste. India is the only nation that operates by caste and yet we call ourselves secular.

5. Caste census slaps performing population with quotas and reservation and encourages mediocrity.

4. Let's be kind and offer the buttermilk but no data for their caste census.

5. Tell them that we are not revealing mine until all MPs in both house and all MLAs reveal theirs.

6. Remember the caste census exercise is encouraging mediocrity and using my tax money to scheme plans against me!

Caste census is like sex determination! It kills the spirit and joy of togetherness and peace! By responding to the caste census you are turning this nation into a castist, rascist, and sexist society. So remember to censure caste census!

2 comments:

  1. Chandra

    I appreciate your sentiments but caste is a big reality in India and today the problem is not with FC v/s BC but with BC against OBC /Dalits . I know of many friends of mine who belong to BC category while they fume against the so called superiority complex of Brahmins ,they still call SC/ST people as "sons of dogs - nai pasanga " .The 2 tumbler system still exist in many villages in Tamil Nadu .The attitude of Police / Government Officers /General Upper Class public towards Dalits /OBCs is really horrible .When I was studying in College in Delhi I was shocked to see the attitude of some of my collage mates towards OBC /Dalits .One of my close friend was a Dalit and he was trying desperately to remove the Dalit tag by having a proper dress sense and trying to talk in proper English with others and when he did this Others will joke saying why they hell u make so much effort when u have reservations till death and that a Pig will always remain a Pig even if it dresses in a 3 piece suit .I am not a Champion of the OBC/Dalits and I really do not know the motive behind these caste census but what I want to point out is that Caste Based persecution still exists and while it is not quite visible in Urban set up , it does exist in other subtler forms and until all communities learn to respect each other as human beings first these cast based Politics /Policies will do continue .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Chandra,

    Have been reading your blog off and on for quite some time.

    This is a political drama. caste-strength based reservation might alter the equation on the government jobs.the actual discrimination is by the OBCs on the MBCs. It still exists and is bring carried forward to the next generation also.

    Cheers,
    Ramkumar

    ReplyDelete