Sunday, March 29, 2015

Prevention better than cure!

The world of mothers and women are very different from the world of fathers and men, I'm not starting a gender war here, but just sharing some conversations that I've heard in the last  fortnight that makes women think, act and behave more responsibly than men. Before I share musings at my home, why don't you read Ms. Angelina Pitt's opinion on NYTIMES (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/24/opinion/angelina-jolie-pitt-diary-of-a-surgery.html). 

Angelina is a responsible mother, who is aware of her genetic make-up and inherent risks. She periodically goes through medical screenings and shares findings and her decisions with the world. In a world where celebrities and even working class stay tight lipped about their plastic surgeries, Angelina is open about her health and her decisions to undergo double mastectomy and hysterectomy. Bravo!

A superhuman and superwoman
Many of us still think only breasts and uterus define a woman and qualifies them for the much coveted "motherhood" status, but losing them doesn't make them any less womanly or motherly. For a minute I asked how much a woman is Angelina, but then looking at her courage and responsible behavior to educate larger public I put her on the highest pedestal. She is definitely a super woman and a super human who dwarfs Lara Croft: Tomb Raider.

Secrets du La Chambre: womb or tomb?
Every year my mother uses discounts given by clinics around International Women's Day to get her yearly screenings done (blood tests, mammogram, uterus scans, etc.). Yes, waiting for discounts, and haggling is a quality of a real mother. 

Though my mother never went to college, but that didn't deter her from reading up all women-related and age-related health issues and take preventive measures to protect her and keep her family informed. During one such screenings, doctors found chances of her developing uterine cancer quite high. Her mother had her hysterectomy at the age of 50 due to fibroids (fibroids if unattended can turn into tumor and eventually into cancer). After multiple consultations, she decided to get rid of the chamber where two of the three of us stayed full-term. My brother was premature and my sister reminded upside down (breach baby). Had she not done her preventive check-ups the womb would have become a tomb.

Fears comes true
Post her hysterectomy, my mother has been concerned about developing osteoporosis. In fact her mother developed osteopenia after her hysterectomy at the age of 50. This was 30-years ago and my grandmother wasn't given calcium supplements post surgery. And this year when my mother added bone density to her lists of tests (discount offer, courtesy: IWD celebrations) she was little scared and her intuition and fear came true. She was diagnosed with osteopenia (early stage) and she already knew what needed to be done before she consulted the doctor with her reports. 

Impeccable track record
On the other hand, my father's side is genetically predisposed to heart ailments. My father and his brothers are the first generation in a hundred years to see their 65 birthday. I still have another 25 years to get there! My grand father died when he was 38 and his father died died at the age of 41. My dad suffered a heart attack at 31, and finally underwent  by-pass at 58 and also carries around a defibrillator under his collar bone. In my generation, 3 out of 12 were born with congenital heart defects. But none others except me in the extended family go for a periodic medical exam given the genetic predisposition. I was able to find out my congenital heart issue (PAPVC) during my yearly medical exam and I was able to get surgical intervention to reroute the eloped pulmonary veins before a heart failure. 

My mother may not be a celebrity; she has her fears like Angelina and doesn't shy away from discussing genetic predispositions, scheduling our medical exams and researching on the findings. And every time one of us go to the clinic for a screening my mother becomes anxious. She was never this anxious even when we went for his high school exams. Only women and mothers can think of prevention, remember predispositions and recommend routine screenings to protect the family. 

Health is wealth - if you have not had such conversations at home and screenings, do so today. Prevention is better than cure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment