Monday, October 17, 2016

Think before you twiddle!

Think before you twiddle!

Does digital world have etiquettes and should one follow and apply the same rules of engagement, endearment and disengagement to this world without shadows?

Today, smart phones behave like Russians spying on conversations, calls and messages and putting forward suggestions for personal and professional connect. Without much thought, we twiddle our thumbs and send out requests similar to missiles from North Korea. While some perceive these missiles as a way way to forge friendships, many perceive them as intrusion, pompous display power or even label it as an intention to snoop.

I am a friendly guy and it doesn't take much for me to accost a stranger with an unharming smile, disarming their ego, breaching their personal firewall and turning the air cordial and friendly. But if there is one place where I am apprehensive of playing my charm and end up behaving quite the opposite, it is the digital world.

Keeping them on-hold
Two weeks ago, I was on a call with colleagues from across the world and soon after the call ended one of the participants who I hadn't exchanged even a single word on the call sent me a request to connect without any introduction. Is working for the same company a good reason to stay connected on sites such as Linked In? Should I be polite and connect with her or should I be logical and put her request on-hold until we professionally get to know each other?

Being smart and ruthless
A few years ago, my ex-boss explained how he connected only with ex-colleagues and prospective colleagues/employers. He stringently evaluates the worthiness of the individual before connecting professionally and always looked at maximizing the outcome of such connects. He puts all request from existing colleagues on hold until they turn into exs' and others until he establishes their intent. Does that make him smart and principles or unfriendly and ruthless?

Blurring professional boundaries
Recently, I received LinkedIn requests from my insurance agent, wealth manager, and cab driver asking them to add them to my network and recommend their services. Why would I brag to my professional network about the wealth I made through my manager or the risks I mitigated through the insurance agent? Though the connection from their point of view seemed perfectly right, but I didn't know if I was blurring the boundaries between my personal and professional life by recommending them on Linked In.

Wearing a Venetian mask
A friend of mine who recently got stabbed at the back by his boss, waited until he moved jobs and then quietly deleted him from his LinkedIn. When his ex-boss found out that he has been deleted, he wasn't happy. "But I don't want people who sabotage my professional career on my Linked network," opined my emotionally charged friend.
In the real world it would be easier to mask human feelings or wear a Venetian mask, but in the digital world a mere delete or unfriend option instantly blows up bridges.

Transparency invites dishonesty
A senior colleague lamented about being dishonest while writing endorsements and recommendations. He said we indiscriminately use like and share buttons to satisfy our fragile egos in the name of growing friendships. He also pointed out people have begun to use skill endorsements and professional testimonials to make them look like experts and superman/superwoman. In the real world, testimonials are shared privately and there is an opportunity for the feedback to remain confidential and honest.

It's all window dressing
A few companies are using the LinkedIn accounts of their senior leaders to attract new business and connect with buyers. A set of social media consultants put together curated content and push it to senior leaders, who in turn share to make them self look  like experts and intellectuals broking technology and business. Aren't these people like mannequins in stores, who they are made to look good and attract buyers?

Unreal and fragile
As much as the digital world fuels our emotions, it also turn us into opportunists and ruthless and dishonest individuals. The likes, shares, endorsements and testimonies can turn our egos fragile bringing out the Jekyl and Hyde in us. If not used carefully, it wields power to kick-start a nuclear fission (unlinking us from the rest) and annihilate us from our faithful shadows. So, think before you twiddle!

No comments:

Post a Comment