Friday, July 8, 2005

Fizzy Fridays

We enjoy savoring different flavors in life. Every day is new, different and has it own surprises that unfold at untimely hour. The news about the promotion is sweet, while 0% raise is not orgasmic. Completing an arduous task is an achievement, while starting a new one can be a challenge and the road ahead can be bumpy. Well this is my 3rd job in my 7 years career. My first one was really interesting, I was young then and I was always on my toes looking for excitement and adrenalin rush. With lot of hopes on the salary and title the ego graph headed northwards, but soon after Sept 11, I was laid off and I became more prudent and don’t to earth. Anything can happen at any hour and one has to financially engineer his/her life. My second job started abysmally low wrt pay and position. There was no correlation between my education, salary and title. I rolled up my sleeves when people hesitated to hire and settled in for the lowest carrot on the stick. I have slowly moved up over the years after having worked for demanding boss, understanding boss and the skunk. The bottom line is to keep your boss’s ego on the pedestal and play servile.

Job is not everything in life and but still we need “Sugar” to make our life and people with us happy. After the 7 year mill with bouts of adrenalin rush, anxiety, hope, optimism, and sweat I have decided to take it easy. Work of course it is not the end or the beginning of life and for me it is 9am – 6 pm hobby.

Well 12.30-1.30pm is the best time of the day. Our canteen smells of good, healthy food with melodies from the 70’s playing the background. Lilting melodies of Raja (Paruvamey puthiya paadal, Janaki Manthiram, Andhi Mazhai) over the FM makes this the happiest hour of the day. The caterer comes with innovative recepies and snazzy names to market them. Last week I happen to catch fruit mix concoction in the canteen. Pieces of healthy fruits suspended in tangy juice combo and pineapple leaves were used to garnish the juice. Doesn’t it sound appetizing? Looking at the juice I was hoping to find a canopy and turn the canteen in the terrace into Bahamas. Do you feel like working in India?

I carry lunch from mom’s kitchen, usually packed with veggies and protein, absolutely no rice and chapattis. Today is my great grandma’s ceremony at home and hence lunch gets served only after the ceremony which ends at 1pm. I ordered Caluiflower, Peas Gravy (Gobi-mutter) along with 3 soft, gheeless fulkas (tortillas) and butter lime to wash it down. I was contemplating on Pomegranate juice but Butter lime sounded a great thirst quencher for the dog days. I am chasing my previous employer for Form 16, I will have to file my tax returns by the end of this month. I entered the investments made into the tax calculator and I found out that I had more room for tax benefits. I called up the ICICI folks and ask them to send a brochure on their tax savings bonds, and life insurance policies. I am hoping to double my investments this year.

It was a tangy day with butter lime lingers and enthralling melodies of Raja.

Hey before I end this blog, I happen read an article on Forbes which claimed India to be the hottest investment destination. A few of the numbers and statistics was rattling my brain (if any!! J ) rest of the computation is left to your imagination, but remember India is your destination.

60% of Indian population is below the age of 32
Emerging middle class in India is 300M
20M students graduate from colleges each year
Average household savings has dropped from 30% in 1999 to 18% in 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment