Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Wisdom after 7 years?

I should have started this blog many years ago to stay in touch with you, but sometimes the bulb goes off really late. Nevertheless, it helps me to keep in touch with my friends, family and share my day to day life. There is dash of spiritualism, philosophy, reality and emotions in each of the post.

Every day is so different, there is so much we learn, and we come across. I was in the toilet and reminiscenting my professional life so far. Lol! Not the best place, but still you can prevent you mind from thinking, but still the brightest of ideas and greatest of thoughts starts on tissue paper, lol! Working for a sycophant boss, a stickler, a lose end boss and then came the micro manager, I had them all in my life. It was difficult and tough to adjust to individual leadership styles. When I changed jobs I left the work place creating a trashy image of the job and the manager and sailed on cloud 9 hoping the new place would be heaven. But soon the honeymoon turned into a nightmare and the new boss was worse than the old one. We all have likes and frustrations from the micro managing boss, snoopy colleague, sloppy, slimy subordinate. Nothing is worth losing your happiness and peace of mind and if it is stressful you must consider other opportunities outside. People around us cannot be changed but isn’t it easy to change the way we think and we feel.

Having gone through 7 years of work life and 3 jobs I feel it is not worth getting upset over 0% raises, micro managing boss or a slimy colleague. Every day is different and let us not take things to heart and fail to live a happy life. As we climb the corporate ladder, we sell our time, health, peace of mind, sanity and buy series of ailments. Is money worth more than a contented happy and peaceful life? We all need money to buy some happiness, but let us not try to strike a balance. I find a lot of them stressed out from stretch targets to under performing quarters, family life and sleepless nights and of course from undisciplined subordinates like me posting such blogs during work time. Lol!

I consider work as a 9-6 hobby and to help me pay bills and have a decent life. I try to do other things that are closer to my heart and that keep me happy and charged. In the end when you get appraised, it is God who sits across from you and not your boss from work. God rates you for your good heart, Samaritan attitude and not for the title and salary that you earn. You are rated for your soul and not your title. Title is for the ego and salary is for the wallet. Let us identify things that will make us live a complete life. We get only 1 chance to live, let us make the most out of it and not let people around us spoil the party. Let us sell only our time and not happiness.

God has made each of us in a special way, and no 2 person is alike. Let us learn to live happy without succumbing to pressures from peer, society, and family. Let us learn to appreciate the diversity with in us and around us. In the end, nothing else matter, except happiness. We all can gift us with abundant happiness and peace of mind, it is within and not outside.

I heard a knock on the door and I realized I had been there for 20 minutes, there was another person waiting to take the dream seat. Well I will have to get back to reality now, let me work now. Eureka….Eureka….Eureka..

Bye.. and come back for more.

1 comment:

  1. arun, you sound like a man over the hill..what's next? when you hit 60s, I can imagine you sitting on a rocking chair (if that's available in madras anymore..)and saying "in those days, people were not as bad as now..we use to worry about salaries, promotions etc..but nowadays you youngsters are so greedy and so materialistic.." lol..seriously, i agree with all your points.money, promotions, title etc ..we live in a society where the education, competence, skills have no correlation with pay checks (especially some managers who are incompetent make more money than anyone else)...so enjoy life and focus on what is important - family, friends, significant other (until he/she starts to get on nerves..lol) good character and all (now i sound like a man in his 60s..lol)

    ReplyDelete