Monday, August 10, 2015

Europe vs. the U.S.


If there was no thing that I didn't have to do while in the U.S. is to mentally convert from Euros to US dollars. Unfortunately, the parity may have been reached in terms of the currency, but then I have to watch what I eat since most meals are super-sized and sugar was stealthily sneaked into very possible food. I also want to age without any health issues or upping my risks for cancer or cardiac issues.

Food trap
I was at the Food Emporium on the 42nd street and I closed my eyes and gave a miss to all the processed food arranged at the entrance to enslave and entrap visitors. I diligently rushed to the refrigerated section to pick up a Greek yogurt, a healthy salad with quinoa and pecans, a platter of freshly cut fruits and reached the billing counter in a few minutes. Anyone who doesn't have a strong will to eat healthy was sure to be trapped in the unhealthy aisles that sold hundred varieties of sugar loaded breakfast cereals, and processed foods with high salt and trans-fat apart from liquor and cigarettes. 

Though Europe may not offer you as many great choices as the US wrt cuisines and dietary needs such as vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, but has a stronger self-control to regulate portion sizes and get moving. This statement of mine is only true if physical appearance was used as a primary tool for comparison.

Prozac nation
NYC is the best example of consumerism in the U.S.: unlimited, neurotic and unending. From cabbies, food carts, bars, restaurants, clothing stores selling super sized clothes to overflowing garbage cans, we can never be sure which one of this is the starting point for obesity. But one of my friends always says unhealthy eating is an emotional disorder and the underlying unresolved emotional issue is often substituted with food.


Thinking about the unhealthy Americans, my friends and I set out on a brisk walk to go up and down the Brooklyn bridge and at the same time get a spectacular view of the city. As the French say, Il fait beau: blue sky, temperature in the lower 20s and the cool breeze over the Hudson River made it a sweat-free experience. 

Another difference between Europeans and Americans is their level of physical activity. European cities by design had well developed public transportation that discouraged driving and encourage its citizens to take the public transport system. I could rarely see people cycle, rollerblade or walk to work in the U.S. 

Man up vs. Superman
If I were amazed by love locks on Parisian bridges, I was amazed by bras fluttering like national flags on the Brooklyn Bridge. Is this a sign of personal freedom? 


I often mention to my Parisian friends that European men need to man up and stop dressing up in skin fits and acting like ramp-walk models who survive on Tic-Tac, cigarettes and water. But after watching the obesity epidemic or the Superman syndrome in the U.S., I may start appreciating Europeans for their skinny appearance and exercise, but not for getting into skin fits.

But then America is far superior to Europe when it comes to friendliness and customer service. Is this behavior driven by consumerism? Is obesity directly related to economic prosperity? Let me take another walk to answer this question for you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment