Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Revisiting the Best Time Ever!

If you want to learn more about a city and its history, walk by the river and if you want learn about a person travel with him/her. My next stop is at a city that has risen from ashes like a Phoenix bird and a city where I lived briefly 17 years ago. 

What is a better way to rewind memories, do a now and then and share your stories from living in the city than taking a river cruise? And sometimes what keeps us rooted to a city is our friends; they fill and build our memories and also bring along new friends who in turn strengthen your connect and establish their own equation with the city.


Past and present meets and plans for future
My friend Stephanie and I have a shared past; we lived in same cities, did vacations together, our journeys of life have been similar and probably that is what makes people speculate if we are a couple. It happened when we tested beds together at Home in Bangalore, and a year later when we went into surgery and recovery and since then we've been meeting up in different continents and countries each year making lush memories. 


This time around she drove 6 hours to pick me up at the Midway airport in Chicago, planned our breakfast at Hyatt followed by a river cruise to enjoy the architecture of the city. The deep dish pizza and frozen lemonade from Giordanos at Navy Pier against the backdrop of Lake Michigan inspired us to put together our travel plans for this winter.

Now and then
When I did the river cruise organized by the Chicago Architecture Foundation along the Chicago river, I realized the changes the city has gone through since 1998. Today, the city's skyline is replaced with stronger and taller buildings like the Trump Tower, the old warehouses being turned into condos and celebrities like Oprah Winfrey who then lived in one of the high rises overseeing Lake Michigan have vacated. But then my guardians who nurtured me and made me feel a part of their family continue to live and nourish the city.


Should I call them my friends or should I call them my guardians is still an unanswered question from 1998. In some ways were more than friends and in some ways they are guardians. When I landed here in the winter of 1997, Panch Anna picked me up at the airport, made me feel at home with his vethakozhambu and carrot curry. In a world where people are hungry for wifi passwords more than food, Priya Akka continues to be a doting host who finds her way to your heart through your stomach and retains her Indianess and Indian values despite living far away from home.


Today, I am reminded of my graduate school days when I meet his 17 year old son who is now getting ready for college. Life seems to have gone too fast, at least mine. In 1998, I visited them on the weekends, was introduced to their friends and also invited to join them on trips. I always consulted him before I made big decisions and informed him of my moves. Now you should know why I feel difficult to answer the question: friends or guardians?

Does time alter character of a city? 
The beauty of a city can be altered by the architects, time can dull the beauty, but the character depends on the inhabitants. When I emailed Tanu Akka a few months ago sharing my inkling to visit them in Chicago her spontaneous response made me instantly scout for tickets. She is one the most large hearted, funny, honest and opened minded human I've ever seen in my life and though she is young, her qualities remind of my grandmother. 


I felt protected when came home with Shiva Anna the other day, exactly the same feeling that I had when l came home with him from graduate school on alternate Friday's. Does this help you answer my proverbial question: friend or guardian? Today, Shiva Anna and Tanu Akka are proud parents of two lovely twin angels: Anupama and Nirupama, but doesn't mean affection and love for others are rationed.



During one of my weekends visits 17 years ago, I was introduced to Arul Anna and Anitha Akka and a few years ago when we met them at Park Pod, Chennai for lunch it was not difficult to pick up the thread from where we left. A few nights ago when I stopped by her place, she spontaneously came up with an idea of a potluck to celebrate my visit to Chicago. Turning a weekday night into a weekend night? Very audacious! Tonight, when I go over to their place for dinner I plan to ask Anitha Akka how she manages to still look like a college student making me feel old like the dilapidated warehouses along the river?

There are two more people (Kadhar Anna and Raghavan Anna) who I won't be able to meet this time, but my gratitude humbly stands tall unlike the Trump Tower. These gentlemen moved me lock, stock and barrel from Chicago to Kalamazoo, Michigan on a late Sunday evening in the spring of 1998.

Le vieux amis et les vieux écus sont les meilleurs
17 years is a long enough for a river to change its course, a city to change its skyline, an infant to become an adult and memories to fade away, but Le vieux amis et les vieux écus sont les meilleurs: The old friends and the old ecus are the best. [Écus are old French coins].

I am reminded of my grandmother who says kids and gods must be celebrated and I am adding these dear ones that list. But then, I am pondering, how am I going to repay them for their kindness and unadulterated affection? For now, I will celebrate them and head back home with refilled memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment