Saturday, August 15, 2015

Feeling loved at 40!

It has been just a week and I already feel that I have been sitting on the magic carpet and going around and meeting many of my ex-colleagues and friends. This is why I don't do farewells. Though time and distance separates us, but every time we meet again to discover that time and distance only strengthens our friendship. Didn't matter how many years after we meet, life and friendship is all about making memories that will help us survive tough days and keep us alive until our next meeting. Don't you agree?



Lisa and I worked together at my first job 17 years ago, I was 23 years then. According to her my only wild side was driving like a maniac, but nevertheless she still remembers our trips to Garden City Mall, her first visit Gap store with me, and trips to the local super market. I often went to Subway to get my lunch and I often called her desk to ask if she would like to have a 6' or foot-long for lunch. Sometimes I would punctuate my question with a smile and she picked up the pun and joined me for lunch, but not before calling me a bastard.

While some of them opened their hearts to me, and others opened their homes making me feel special, cared, and loved. 


Senthil came all the way to Providence to bring me back to his place in Newtown, Connecticut. The 90 minute drive was enough for us to catch up on our lives and we even heard two songs and replayed it multiple time for its lyrical value.  Meghan Trainor - https://youtu.be/7PCkvCPvDXk and Taylor Swift - https://youtu.be/e-ORhEE9VVg

He is as smooth as Saint Joseph, a French Wine. At 40, he acts and behaves like 20, a high-voltage live-wire and a bundle of happiness. I saw the mother hen in him come live the next morning when he made me a doggy bag for my journey back home, I saw the mother-hen in him come alive. 


And then when I get back to Providence, RI my friends Colin and Marc give me a house filled with food, a recliner and their Netflix account, a BMW to drive around and also include me in their vacation plans to Province Town. How cool is that? Isn't this a perfect vacation. I am not on Facebook to do a count, but nevertheless this trip is a validation of my friendship balance at 40. I feel so rich, a celebration of single-hood. May be I should go back to the immigration officer in Boston to tell him why I am single and rich.

I couldn't meet a few other ex-colleagues and friends since our schedules couldn't match, but nevertheless I will get an another opportunity to write about them. Come back next week to find out where else the magic carpet takes me to and who else I get to meet on this journey. Life happens at 40!

1 comment:

  1. Life not only goes on after 40 it gets better. Wish we had known you were coming,

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete