Monday, August 31, 2015

A bientot et au revoir Paris

I spent my last day/night in my apartment in Paris, a romantic city for many, by myself re-packing and doing some last minute apartment cleaning to pass the final exam of the rental agency and feel the next tenant welcomed. 

The last evening and night was calm and peaceful. Hope I don't sound like a death row convict waiting to be executed the following morning? I didn't have the pangs of doing a final walk on Champs Élysées, a quick run to enjoy the night charm of Sacre Coeur or taking line 9 from my place in Oberkampf to Alma Marceau to catch a final glimpse of the shimmering Eiffel Tower, the most popular attraction in Europe. 2.5 years is a considerable period of time to fall in love, make memories and I didn't need any last minute fixes.


I had already finished my farewell lunches and dinner with those who helped me make this city my home for over 24 months, and my last visit was to thank Ganesha at La Chapelle. 
My return back from the U.S. was just in time to participate at Fetes du Ganesh, and take his blessing for my next sojourn.  

In a less than 7 hours, I will hand over my apartment key and I will become a homeless for 8 hours before the flight takes me back home with my memories and 4 suitcases. I organized my last day kit consisting of a set of old clothes and things that can discarded after the last use, 3 months ago. 
Some call it OCD while others call it the trait of a Virgo, but nevertheless, it helps to be organized.

Service termination notices were the most difficult and annoying about living in Europe. I had to send in a letter written in French to three services that kept me healthy and happy: UGC Cinema, Gym subscription, and Telephone through registered post informing them of my termination two months in advance. The receipt of acknowledge is  considered as a proof of acceptance of termination. 

Considering this is my 13th move in 18 years, I don't have a lot material possessions and every time I add something to my traveling collection (museum), I must part with something. Yesterday, I dumped an old and comfortable shoe that was made in China, purchased in the U.S. and journeyed with me to 12 European countries, before being dumped here. It was replaced by another comfortable one, whose birth I know, but not is end. The manufacturing world and humans may hold the birth certificate and that may come with a limited warranty, but life controls the end and keeps everyone guessing.

I may come across as a ruthless person in a way, because I consume, handle and dispose responsibly. 
Sometimes I am hesitant to make new friends because I already have many to attend and care for. I even put together a welcome kit for the next occupant: detergent, toileteries, kitchen essentials and fresh towels, apart from a squeaky clean apartment. I know it all sounds like the law of conservation of mass, but without this approach I will be moving a home with me every time and the world will be exploding with people and their material possessions.

A dozen of my close friends visited me in Paris. I had the pleasure of discovering the city again with them and build memories to cherish and savor for life. For those of you who couldn't make it to Paris, including my parents and siblings, get ready to visit me at my next destination. You may also catch up on my rumblings and ramblings from the past and follow me around the world for future updates.

I wish I knew where life was going to take me next, but for now I'm headed to the city where I was born and lived for 25 years, and which I always call it my home, Chennai. 

As my friend says even Paris has to be used and returned in a good condition for the next visitor to enjoy. A beintot et au revoir Paris. Get ready Chennai.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome home....East or West..Home is the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back ! Safe flights and see u soon ... Vinod ( unknown for blogspot ;) )

    ReplyDelete