Saturday, August 8, 2015

Yes, I am single. So what?

Never in my wildest dream I had thought that the immigration officers would ask my such personal and offensive questions in Boston. While I was waiting to board the flight in Paris, a representation conducting a study on behalf of the European Border Control approached me to answer a 10 minute survey on how as a non-European I felt about giving my biometrics at various border controls. Are such surveys needed and are these responses taken seriously

A week ago when my friend emailed me about giving me his second car to drive around while in the U.S. I joked to a coworker that since I am brown skinned I need not worry about being shot dead by white officers. But then I had no idea that I was going to have stories to share back with him upon my return.

The U.S. and many of European countries have visa waiver programs and signed a treaties to respect and treat citizens with dignity and not subject them to such intense and humiliating scrutiny. Though I understand that scrutiny helps them to catch miscreants and terrorists, but repeated singling out members of a particular racial/ religious background tantamount to harassment, prejudice and discrimination. 

It was around 10 pm and the officer at the point of entry wasn't even courteous enough to return my evening wish. He asked me for my passport and questioned my intent to visit the U.S. I politely answered that I went to college in the U.S. and that I was here to visit friends. He kept asking me more personal questions and seeking more information on my place of stay,  about my friends and their professions, while the system was bringing up my profile and other additional information to make a decision on my entry. 

Like the Mami's of Mylapore, he made a statement that it is unusual for Indian males to remain single at this age. What is wrong being a single men and why are they subject to harassment and humiliation? Isn't being single a personal choice? The western society considers asking such personal questions as rude and rustic now appeared to have changed their mind. Though I had no problem answering to such stupid questions, why should I share my reasons with him. Is he paying my bills or is he taking care of my family? 

Aren't married people creating more trouble for governments globally? Most politicians are married and amass wealth for their future generations, the courts are clogged with divorce and custody battle cases. And lastly, bad and broken marriages sow seeds for crime in the society. Though the officer looked educated, I could have lectured him with some statistics, but then he is doing his duty by asking the questions tutored by the Department of Homeland Security. 

I responded back asking him if he had a problem with it. In the meanwhile, he reached out to my old passport that had the U.S. Visa and asked me why I had decided to shave my head and facial hair before the trip. Do I need permission from the U.S. Government to shave my head and face? 
Was he thinking that I could be a terrorist trying to change my look and appearance? And Now I was getting really annoyed with his question, but responded with an element of humor: I'm trying to save money on gel, shampoo and hair conditioner. 

Not liking my humorous response, he asked me if I were ever arrested. Wow! Was he planning to get me arrested or was it just yet another question to harass and make people blow their fuse. I politely responded with a NO. The only question he was left with now was ask my date of return. And as expected the question was the full-stop to our conversation and I walked away with a stamp on my passport to collect the luggage.

A few days ago an article in the NYTimes caught my attention. It mentioned the Department of Homeland Security trying to subject many other nationals to intense scrutiny since many of these nations (France, UK, Germany, etc.) have their citizen joining ISIS group. But that didn't make me feel any better or legitimize their action today.

I, an honest law abiding single man from India is being subjected such humiliation, while other nationals from countries such as France, Germany, etc. who had signed the treaties with the U.S. scanned their passports and verified their biometrics at the automated kiosks without have to go through such verbal harassments. I now hoped that the survey questions which I had answered at the Paris airport ten hours ago would be taken seriously.

U.S. still remains a land of opportunity and hope to many, but the recent crimes against black people or marginalizing black community and throwing them behind bars is keeping them a leader among the world's most racist nation. It is never pleasant traveling with an Indian passport specially to the West where we are often subjected to third-grade scrutiny which humiliates and undermines our self-respect and self-worth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment